Friday, February 13

St. Valentine's Day Reflections
I've noticed several cynical posts in the blogosphere about Valentine's Day, so I decided to do a little research. Who was St. Valentine? Is the day that bears his name just about wasting money on cards and confections? Here's what i learned from the History Channel, that tele-visual font of knowledge:
"One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men -- his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death."
"According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today."
So for those of you who don't want to get pinned down by an overweening sweetheart, when he or she asks "Will you be my Valentine?" you may respond this way: "No I won't, since I am neither saint nor martyr you will have to settle for me being your lover, friend, f___k buddy, or whatever--anything but your Valentine!"
For myself, I plan to take my Iranian neighbor out to dinner Saturday evening, but only in a casual way. (I haven't yet followed up with the author whose website I shared with you all earlier.) My neighbor will be good company though. I'm beginning to think that "axis of evil" should be renamed "axis of booty" since Persian women like my neighbor are extraordinarily attractive, as are Persian men if that's your preference. In any event, I think we might all do well to make this Valentine's day a "Black Love Day." We can start that celebration today, since today, Friday, is in fact Black Love Day. But you're not black? Don't worry, we white folks and brown folks and folks of other tinctures can enjoy it too, since according to Ayo Handy-Kendi, who started Black Love Day, the color Black represents the mix of ALL colors.