Friday, February 20

Okay ya'll, this U of Colorado scandal is a divisive issue I know, but it's just too important to pass up, especially in light of our conversations about "context." I'm still forming my opinion--at the moment I'm sympathetic both to Hnida and to Barnett. In other words I'm confused. So I'm dropping a big old fat hot potato right in the center of our blogosphere (not that ya'll haven't already dropped several of your own). Reactions? For those of you who don't know what I'm referring to, here's the tip of the iceberg from CNN today:
'[University of Colorado head football coach Gary Barnett] was placed on paid administrative leave Wednesday after he called [Katie] Hnida [former and only female to play football for U of Colorado] an "awful" player who "couldn't kick the ball through the uprights" on Tuesday. He has since tried to back away from his comments saying they were taken out of context.
Colorado University President Elizabeth Hoffman said the coach "was not apologetic" when she spoke to him about the matter.
"In the context of a rape allegation, it is inappropriate to make statements about the ability of the player," Hoffman said.
Barnett told CNN he made a mistake.
"I think I said the wrong thing, the wrong way at the wrong time," he said.
Barnett explained that he was trying to show support for Hnida but was asked a specific question about the player's talent and ability.
"I was trying to communicate that we cared about Katie. We were going to go to any extent we could to help her achieve her dream of being a college football kicker," he said. "No matter what her ability was, we were trying to find a way to make sure she had a chance to do this."'